Saturday, November 19, 2005

At long last, have you no shame?

Mark Twain said, as best I can recall, "Suppose I was a member of Congress. Suppose I was an idiot. Ah, but I repeat myself."

The Republican vote on Iraq hits a new depth. I'm sick. Not a political ploy, says Rep. Hunter, who introduced the resolution and intended from the start to vote against it. A legitimate question, he says. Has he never heard of the phrase, putting words in other people's mouths? How can there be a debate on a resolution that both sides oppose?

Three members voted in favor anyway. Does anyone remember the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution? It passed the senate 98-2. Wayne Morse and Ernest Gruening were the only two senators who voted no. This resolution went down 3-403. Some day we may remember those three.

No comments: